My collegiate experience has officially begun. I have moved my belongings halfway across the country, bought enough plastic storage totes to aid Walmart in their quest to take over the world, and successfully managed to fit it all into a teeny-tiny bedroom which I share with a lovely girl named Miranda. I haven't had very much time to spend with her as her family is still here, but she seems extremely sweet--even if she is four years younger than me. Actually, all the girls in the triplex are younger than me. Including the RA and the assistant RA. Ah well, it was always that way in grade school too. :-)
The excitement at college kicked off today, with the beginning of New Student Orientation. It was a sufficiently awkward event during which I met many very wonderful people, most of whose names I do not remember. We, the 260ish new students, were broken into "Cohort" groups of about 30 to 40 people; I spent the majority of the day with this group and the Cohort group next to ours, traveling around doing fun things like: getting my picture taken, typing personal info into the slowest computer on the face of the earth, learning who to contact for different things, playing icebreakers (you try covering your teeth with your lips and saying "pterodactyl" without laughing), learning that there are actually two kinds of smoke detectors and which I should have (I can't remember which, so as you can tell it did a lot of good), and learning not to steal my roommates milk.
Tomorrow I have hopes of learning all about dating (no not that, just appropriate ways of scheduling my time), making it to all of the student groups (If I do I can enter in a drawing for free stuff. Yay. College is turning me into a an ever better--or worse, depending on your view--Mennonite), and taking in a Spokane Indians baseball game.
Well, even though this all has just begun, I would have to say that my adventure began quite a while ago. With so many details that I don't have time to share; but I was reminded again today of my journey here, and how it is God's will for me to be here, how He has opened doors and broken off ideas and orchestrated the exact circumstances which surround me. If I can already see this, how much more has He been and will He do during this stage of my life. I have already had many moments of terror, moments of joy, moments of sheer confusion, and moments of clumsiness (don't ask). But I can still say with out a doubt, that God is.........yeah, I guess that about sums it up, He is.
I'm feeling a bit like Dorothy right now, except I left my dog at home. I'm not in WI anymore; but I think it's going to be okay.
(side note: Mountains are amazing. I can not believe I have lived this long and never seen them. Wow.)
(side note, two: The butter here is shaped wrong. I asked Emily, another girl in the house, if this was how butter was normally shaped and she gave me a very confused look. So, I left her with a warning that if she found me in the kitchen crying over the butter it was because it wasn't the right shape.)
So I don't really know you very good, but I loved reading your blog! Love the way you write and the thing of becoming a better or worse Mennonite, made me laugh! :) What is your view? :) Hope adjustments go well for you and hopefully you will not become to emotional over the wrongly shaped butter! ;)
ReplyDeleteDear Dorothy,
ReplyDeleteAre there any munchkins there?
You'd never seen mountains! I didn't realize that!
How is the butter shaped?
Your blog is added to my favorites list so you better keep updating!
Love,
Auntie Em
i enjoyed the blog and it is on my favorites. Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're doing the blog Becky. Yes - mountains are so amazing and majestic! They make me think of 'Shout To The Lord'.
ReplyDeleteOrder an extra shot sometime (of espresso) for me! Love you ~ (Aunt) Michelle
LOL's!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're having fun Becki!
-matt
Awesome Beck! Love you.
ReplyDeleteI'm still wondering...how IS the butter shaped?
ReplyDelete